The Liberty Bridge is 333.6 m in length and 20.1 m in width. The top of the four masts are decorated with large bronze statues of the Turul, a falcon-like bird, prominent in ancient Hungarian mythology.
The bridge was built between 1894 and 1896 following the plans of János Feketeházy. The bridge was the first in the city to be rebuilt after suffering heavy damage during World War II. Although radically different in structure (it is a cantilever truss bridge with a suspended middle span), the bridge imitates the general outline of a chain-type bridge, which was considered an aesthetically preferable form at the time of construction. The bridge was opened in the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph; the last silver rivet on the Pest abutment was inserted into the iron structure by the Emperor himself, and the bridge was originally named after him.
Szabadság híd or "Liberty Bridge" or "Freedom Bridge" is a bridge that connects Buda and Pest across the River Danube. It is the shortest bridge in Budapest’s center; initially built as part of the Millennium World Exhibition at the end of the 19th century, the bridge features art nouveau design, mythological sculptures and the country’s coat of arms adorned on its side.
A number of trams cross the bridge as well as other road vehicles, but there is an initiative to convert it to a pedestrian-only crossing now that the fourth underground metro line is completed.
thank you all for stopping by and viewing the post...