28.7.09

Rome, I am in love!

Can you guys spot me?

Today is the day spent to discover the Colosseum for the first time! Excited! The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Can you imagine that it could hold between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators. The Colosseum's original Latin name was Amphitheatrum Flavium, often anglicized as Flavian Amphitheater. 


The building was constructed by emperors of the Flavian dynasty, following the reign of Nero.  In old days it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Although partially ruined because of damage caused by earthquakes and stone-robbers, the Colosseum is still an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome. It is one of Rome's most popular tourist attractions and has also links to the Roman Catholic Church, as each Good Friday the Pope leads a torchlit "Way of the Cross" procession that starts in the area around the Colosseum. The Colosseum is also depicted on the Italian version of the five-cent euro coin.



































thank you all for stopping by...
xxx

Soan Galuh beach

Soan Galuh beach is my source of inspiration. When I feel like I need inspirations in my clay work, I would just get my motorbike and drive ...